Monday, December 13, 2010

When the shoe fits...

And this from the "most adorable child in the world" file:

D, re: my suede Italian pumps: "Wow, mom! They feel just like powdered donuts!"

[You just laughed, but then you went... "Right??"]

And while I am sooo glad we are finally in the "I can tie my own shoes, TYVM" stage (which is one of the *real* childhood milestones, along with, as someone once told me, blowing one's nose and figuring out what it feels like right before one throws up. Forget first words and first haircuts. Pfffft.), I wouldn't mind if we got to the Understanding and Proper Re-telling of Jokes phase.

I am sure I will live to regret that previous statement, though, because honestly, the kid thought up a zinger the other night that was funnier than pretty much any joke anyone's told me in months.

The setup:

Boyfriend, D and I are in the car, and Boyfriend tells this joke: "What did the snail say when he rode on the turtle's back?" [pause] "Wheeee!" (presumably because to a snail, a turtle seems fast. I'm just clarifying because I had a friend who actually questioned that joke's hilarity factor. As if.).

So D, who as you might have guessed, really only sees the silly and runs with it without fully understanding WHY the joke is actually funny (possibly he and my friend should have coffee?), says "What did the turtle say when he was on the snail's back?" [pause] "Wheee!"

And of course he breaks down into weeping peals of hysterical laughter as we try to explain why that joke isn't really the Same Kind of Funny, but before he really hears us, he's off and running with it. He manages to contain his merciless giggles long enough to gasp, "What did the turtle say when he rode on Mama's back?" And, inevitably, as if you didn't see this coming, he reached what he felt was the PINNACLE of silliness with "What did Mama say when she rode on [Boyfriend's] back?"

The great thing is, we were able to laugh until we almost made the pee-pee without having to explain why THAT joke was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me a half-gallon of unleaded commentary: