Thursday, July 14, 2011

The MOTY Competition: Status Update

I just wanted you guys who are competing with my for Mother of the Year status that you can pack it in, because I nailed it this week, and I think I pretty much blew the competition away. So—nice try.

Yes, my plaque should be arriving any moment because WE FORGOT D AT CAMP YESTERDAY!! Boyfriend called during the day and said he would get him and then just forgot—completely biffed it, which he never does.

Unfortunately, one of our fave family games is: [Parent] enters house and says, "Hey! Has anybody seen a little boy?" and then D hides, and we say no, I don't think so, maybe I left him in the car or the Wii ate him or whatever, and hilarity ensues.

Or in our case yesterday, Boyfriend asked "Do you have a little boy with you?" when I walked in, and I joked that it was the cat's turn to pick him up, har har, because of course D was there and just downstairs playing. Of course. So Boyfriend and I talked for 5 minutes and then my phone rang and a sweet little voice said "Hi, it's Amanda from summer camp!" And my oblivious ass is all "Hey there! How ya doing?" thinking she wants to, like, grab a coffee or something. In her adorable chipper tone she assures me she's fine, and then there's an awkward silence and she says "Um, were you or Boyfriend going to pick up Davis today?" It took a second for it to dawn on me that she was serious—I honestly thought Boyfriend had put her up to it (no one has ever accused us of not taking a joke far enough).

I said "OH MY GOD, ARE YOU SERIOUS???" she said she was and that it was, like, totally no problem (except, of course, the fact that I cut my feet on the shattered bits of my broken heart). I booked it over there to get him, and he pretty much didn't even notice I wasn't there yet (thank you, iPad. Thank you, Angry Birds). I think it goes without saying that Boyfriend spent a small fortune at the ice cream parlor last night.

Anyway, I think we need a new Fun Family Joke to replace "Where's D?" Maybe something like "Please Sign This Sworn Statement That You Are The One Picking Up The Kid."


 


 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my bubbeleh. ::pats comfortingly:: Can I offer you a soothing cup of tea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guarantee that I will call you in like 5 years and say the exact same thing to you: "Holy Crap, I forgot my kid at camp." I'm certain of it.

    ReplyDelete

Give me a half-gallon of unleaded commentary: