I PROMISE this is not going to turn into a blog about running and fitness, because a) it will be even more difficult for me to try and work in all the random topics about which I wish to opine into such a blog as it was the mommyblog, and b) I think they're pretty boring unless something Interesting and Unusual is also happening during said fitness activity, like the one girl who's stretching and obnoxiously showing off demonstrating her extreme flexibility before yoga class while everyone else is sprawled in the aptly-named Corpse pose, hoping to be just a leeeetle more Corpselike before our class (er, "practice") begins.
BUT! I did a long outdoor run on Sunday and a couple of things that qualify as Interesting happened (well, interesting to me, anyway, but then watching Ratatouille for the 18th time, for some reason, is still interesting also).
- I discovered that it is already INSANELY hot in Utah by 8AM. I have been thinking all this time that because IT'S A DRY HEAT that the lack of humidity meant morning=cool. And it is, at is at the ungodly hour at which I normally go to the gym, but apparently a great deal of global warming happens in the intervening 3 hours. As in, polar ice caps spontaneously melting and stuff.
- I also discovered that when one becomes overheated whilst running, the worst thing to do is, apparently, to STOP RUNNING. This mystifies me, as I am quite sure much of the temperature problem came from the running in the first place. But evidently, whatever (in my case) pitiful breeze might have been generated by one's pace obviously stops once one collapses at the 5-mile mark, and every drop of blood in one's body decides it has to be SOMEWHERE ELSE IMMEDIATELY.
- While running, I actually PASSED SOMEONE. As in, I ran fast enough to run right by another human who was also running. This has, to my knowledge, NEVER happened to me before. I'm serious. In the Army run I did in college in order to complete my Physical Education requirement, I was dead last. I was almost passed by the pace car, which was full of ROTC dudes yelling what I'm sure they felt were Helpful and Encouraging words and phrases. The one time I managed to run 12 miles, it took like 3 days, and I was running the whole time. Ok, maybe two and a half days, but still. I have heretofore not been a fast or even non-painfully slow runner, ever.
Now, I'm not going to try to tell you that the guy I passed was a triathlete taking an easy 6-minute-mile run on his day off, just for fun. But he wasn't in his eighties, either, which pleased me—getting lapped by someone who's knitting as they're jogging is bad for morale. But I was gracious and pleasant, bitching about the heat and hiding my glee that for once in my life I was running faster than someone without a severe movement-impairing injury, because being outpaced by someone with a torn Achilles tendon would make me ask the 80-year-old for her knitting needle so I could stab myself in the ear.
- The final Event of Note was that when I arrived back in the parking lot of the trailhead, I discovered that my right passenger window was shattered and my car had been ransacked. Luckily, the GPS and my wallet were locked in the glove box, which means I will be writing a letter to Jeep, thanking them for this feature tout suite. However, I did not think to do the same with my keys, and our friendly neighborhood car burglar took them with him. I have no idea why. I had the car key, so it's not like he got that, and even if he did, he's obviously too stupid to have just big fat gone ahead and stolen the car then and there.
Maybe he wants the $.10-a-gallon off points I have earned through my local grocery store, or maybe he thinks he's going to get some free Bikram yoga classes with my key tag from the studio. JOKE'S ON YOU, BUDDY!! No sessions on that account! (and, frankly, if he really wanted to do Bikram, he could have stood in Chair pose in the asphalt parking lot for half an hour and felt about the way I felt after my one and only Bikram class).
So. Am I to be encouraged by the fact that I both finished my run and managed to run faster than another living being, or do I take the ridiculous heat and the break-in as a sign that running is best done indoors, preferably under an air conditioning vent with plenty of cold water at my disposal? Because, honestly, the only reason I drove the damn Jeep the ¼ mile (yes, the ¼ MILE. As in 0.25, when I was about to run 5 whole miles anyway) to the trailhead was so I could stash water in my car to gulp down halfway through the run.
I'm not sure, but I will tell you that, when I arrived home from the ordeal, D asked me ever-so-politely if we could PLEASE go get him the pair of soccer cleats for which he has been begging for weeks and which I had promised him we would get that day. I explained that, frankly, I was about to have to pay $200 to fix my window and that money is kind of tight right now, but I would do my best. He got really quiet, and then he said, "well, mom, if you have $199, I will give you my dollar, and then you can get your window fixed."
He got the cleats. And shinguards. Retail therapy doesn't have to be about only buying clothes for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Give me a half-gallon of unleaded commentary: